Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority
Independent Commission for Climate
15th March, 2021
Draft Appraisal of our Independent
Commission for Climate's Interim Report (Full Report due in August)
- People thought nature was the most important issue.
- People wanted more information provision and education.
Role of Nature Issues
- Public engagement programme.
Behaviour Change Issues
- Behaviour change lies underneath many of the recommendations.
- Public engagement and behaviour change are bed partners.
- Communication and engagement required to support behaviour change.
- Gathering public support at a local level is required.
- Policy needs to go with the grain of how people act and are motivated.
- Need to lead a programme for engagement and behaviour change.
Coordination of Key Stakeholders
- Public engagement (to date) has been through just two surveys.
- Need to remove frictions and understand people’s incentives.
Travel sustainably by walking, cycling or using public transport.
ICC Recommendations for CPCA
- Climate Cabinet chaired by the Leader of the Combined Authority.
- Funded delivery team to coordinate, champion and facilitate action.
- Climate action plan: emissions targets, actions, and monitoring.
- Green investment team.
- Plan for funding green transformation (e.g. Green Bonds).
- Nature based solutions.
- Peat restoration.
Our region can be a great place to live for everyone
Cambridgeshire Local Councils Conference 2020